Hey there: You’re a fisherman, right? No? Ah, come on, only anglers can wander here and there in search of a fishing rod.
But, you don’t need to go anywhere else, as google has already brought you to the right place where you’ll get the answers to all your questions.
So, fishing without having a good fishing rod can’t be made. It’s like the backbone of fishing. Isn’t it? But, when it comes to choosing the best one, it gets quite challenging, because there are tons of different types of fishing rods available in the market.
So, what one should you go with and why? Well, firstly, let me tell you the 3 best types of fishing rods, keeping aside others available out there. Their names are, spinning fishing rods, conventional fishing rods, and baitcasting fishing rods.
So, I’ll tell you the advantages of each so that you may not end up making the wrong decision for yourself. Also, I’ll recommend the best one according to my research.
So, without talking, even more, let’s flip over to the topic already.
How to Pick the Best Fishing Reel for Yourself out of These 3 Types?
Choosing a fishing reel can be a tough row to hoe, especially when there are three best options available to choose from. But, I’ll make it easier for you by telling you the advantages of using each over others.
Also, the fishing reel that you’ll choose will vary on the type of fish you want to catch. You may already know about it, right?
So, let’s not make this thing lengthy and head to these best types of fishing reels, spinning reels, baitcasting reels, and conventional reels.
1. Spinning reel
Here we have a spinning reel on the first number of our list of three. Though you’re likely to be aware of it already, if you don’t know about it, then I will tell you. This fishing rod is a cherished and utilized fishing reel in the world.
Some fishers even believe that no fishing reel can have so many advantages as a spinning rod. Indeed, it’s chock-full with a lot of prominent features that make fishing a lot of fun and easier.
Compared to the other three types, the spinning reel is the easiest reel to use with a lot of distinguishable features.
Primarily the spinning reel is great for light to heavy fishing in the saltwater. Let’s list down the advantages of a spinning reel, making it easier for you to choose the best one. Check out the best spinning reels in the market you can use.
Advantages of Spinning reel
- It’s quite easy to use and handle –The problem that most of the to-be comers struggle with is the handling of a reel. But, when you have a spinning reel, then it’s a lot easier for you to control, thanks to the easy to use structure it has
- Capable of handling the wind better- Being an angler, the heavy wind would be a common thing that made your fishing way more complicated. Isn’t it? But, the spinning reel is designed in a way that no matter how heavy the wind is blowing, you’ll be able to use it properly. Obviously, a little bit of skill is required too. I mean, you don’t have to be an expert at it to fight against the wind, you just have to hold it, and the rest will do the spinning reel itself.
- Easier to drag and drag while you’re retrieving – I know being an angler myself how problematic it is to fight against fishing while travelling. It gets quite difficult to adjust and drag, especially when the fish has been stuck in the reel. But spinning rods makes it way easier for you than other reels out there. IT makes zero difference if the reel is near to the rear or the front of the reel; you can drag and adjust it coolly.
- The spinning reels are affordable –When you head to the market to get your eyes on a fishing reel, you always see that the best reels tend to be the most expensive ones too. But, the case is a bit distinct from a spinning reel. They’re quite affordable and reliable too. You can get it just for 100$ approx from the manufacturers. It’s as cheap as chips, isn’t it?
SO, there were the benefits of a spinning reel that you could get when using it. Now, it’s time to make our way to the next best type of fishing reel called baitcasting fishing reel. Let’s see what it holds for us.
2. Baitcasting Fishing Reel
This fishing reel is another best type that is used by a number of anglers out there. This reel comes with a rotating spool attached to the top of the fishing reel.
The spool can be rotated by twisting the handle on the side of the reel. The baitcasting fishing rod has a lot of different advantages that are listed below.
- The reel has a higher gear ratio –The higher gear ratio that this fishing rod provides allows you to do a lot of things with ease. Like, you can set the rod accurately and get a good grip on it. Also, the retrieval process gets faster due to the higher gear ratio. However, you won’t get these features in all baitcasting fishing reels.
Types like buzz baits, crankbaits, buzz baits, and other similar options can offer you these fantastic features. Different types may not have them. So, if you want to enjoy these features of fishing, then you better choose any type of baitcasting rod mentioned above.
- Great for catching the big fish –You may remember that we’ve discussed in the spinning rod that they’re capable of catching light to heavy fish. However, the baitcasting rods are meant to be used for fishing large and heavy fish. Not only does it make fishing giant fish easier, but it also has the edge over other fishing reels out there.
So, if you’re an expert angler who just targets bigger fish, then keep the spinning rod aside and go for using the baitcasting rod. It will enable you to work with ease. The combination of these types benefits it; the retrieval process gets a lot quicker.
- You can customise it according to your hand’s requirements-having discomfort while fishing is the most common problem faced by people using fishing rods. It’s not just annoying but a loss while fishing. Considering this probe, the baitcasting fishing rod has made it easier for you to use it in any condition and hand you’re comfortable at using it. That’s impressive, isn’t it?
- Easier to fish in hard water- Fishing in a sea may be easier than fishing in a pond full of docs and other little animals. They keep on moving in the water, making it difficult for us to catch any fish. But when you’re using a baitcasting fishing rod, it makes it a piece of cake for you to fish in any hard water that you can think of.
These were some of the cons of using a Baitcasting fishing rod, but there is one con of it that I want you to know. It’s pretty hard to use and handle. Not everyone can handle it.
So, if you’re a novice, you better go for using the spinning rod. That said, it’s time to discuss the last type of fishing rod in our list, named conventional fishing rod. Let’s dig into its advantages.
3. Conventional Fishing Rod
This fishing reel type differs from the two that we’ve just finished discussing. The conventional fishing rod is designed to catch giant fish in rough conditions where other fishing rods fail.
The purpose of bringing this type of reel to the market was to provide anglers with a reel that can help them catch very heavy and oversized fish by handling any complex kind of water, heavy wind, or any other rough situation you can think of.
For the anglers that go fishing in offshore waters for catching fish like marlin, sailfish, big dorado, wahoo, and large tuna, the conventional fishing reel can be a treasure for them.
However, the conventional fishing reel is tough to use and handle. If you want to handle it properly, you’ll have to practice for months or maybe a year. Therefore, it’s an excellent choice for expert anglers who go fishing in challenging giant offshore saltwater.
What Fishing Reel Should You Go With?
I’ve told you the benefits of each type according to different situations. Now, you have to question yourself what kind of fishing you want to go for.
If you’re a beginner and looking for an easy-to-use fishing rod also with heaps of features, then the Spinning fishing reel is your way to go. If you’re a person who wants to catch big fish and you’re also good at handling a fishing rod, then go for a baitcasting fishing reel.
It will do wonders for you. However, if you think you have to deal with difficult fishing in salty offshore glasses of water where the wind blows heavily and the condition is rough, the conventional fishing rod will be an ideal fishing rod for you. Go for it.
That’s it for today guys, I hope you know now how to choose a fishing reel among spinning fishing rod, conventional fishing rod, and baitcasting fishing rod. I’ve tried to mention every useless technical term so that you can understand better.
Still, if there is something that I forgot to mention you can put that down below I’ll cover it up in upcoming posts.
Question: What is your level of fishing, beginner, intermediate, or pro? Your comments will highly be appreciated.
Hi, I am David. I have founded THE FISHER CAST because I believe everybody deserve to do fishing smartly. I with my team are here to make this possible for our present and future generations by giving the best hands on practical experiences and reviews.